Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mame

THEATER 5
-spring 1984
In 10th grade, the Youth Club play was MAME. I auditioned in earnest, and got the small part of Uncle Jeff. Hardly any more lines than the year before, but i was a "name" character now. Dave and Valda were the co-directors again, and they were great. I threw myself into rehearsals. Then, in a moment i can feel to this day, i was home one afternoon and the phone rang. It was Dave. He told me that Jim Prosser, a junior who had been cast as Mame's Asian houseboy Ito, was very busy writing the music for his own private school's show. Dave asked whether i'd be willing to switch parts with Jim. I was stunned. I walked around that afternoon with a goofy look on my face, i'm sure. I now had a good number of lines, a song with the leads, with a solo line…no, wait, i was one of the leads. I was one of the leads. Amazing. My mother used dye to darken my hair. I was told it would wash out within a month, but it stayed for half a year. I didn't mind, it was a badge of honor. My group of friends was growing, with Cathy O'Brien joining Robb and Ken. There were several kids who went beyond hip into the realm of cliquey assholes; notable among these was Dean Mix, a guy my age playing the part of older Patrick. Dean went out of his way to put me down in his "i'm-smooth-and-you-ain't" manner. My sister had once dated his buddy Bob Archibald, who told me of some of Dean's weak points. The adult stage manager, a sweet, sweet man who played himself in the show, was Mr. Connelly. Heidi Stohler, a freshman, did a wonderful job playing the frumpy Agnes Gooch. I had a crush on Beth Bunting, a senior. She was so sweet and genuine, a blonde-haired long-legged dancer. There was a romantic song in the film version, called "Loving You". I can't remember, but i may have sung it for Beth one rehearsal, my Mom's tinny cassette recorder providing accompaniment (i had held the recorder up to the TV to record the sound). I don't know whether it happened or whether i just planned it, but either way it was the sappiest moment of my life to date. The best moment came when Doug Russell, the senior playing Beau, missed a rehearsal. I was friendly with Doug, a great guy. When it came time for his number, i was asked to fill in (i'd been hoping). I knew every word and sang his part with joy. At one rehearsal, to the amusement of all, i popped my head out of the fireplace during a song in which Mame looks up the fireplace. At that time, "M*A*S*H" was the first grownup show i had ever fallen in love with. The final episode was set to air the Monday night of tech week. I hadn't missed a single rehearsal, and asked Valda whether i could stay home to watch the show. I innocently expected a yes. Valda gave me a strange half-smile, then said "No! Of course not. We need you here!" The performances were at my school, Charles Boehm Junior High, and this also made the whole affair less churchy. Having the dressing rooms in my school's classrooms, it was so cool. The closing night cast party sleepover was at April Ferguson's, who had played Mame. I suspected there were a bunch of kids drinking somewhere, but i found some friends who weren't. The capper of the year came a couple weeks later, on the final Youth Club Wednesday. It was the yearly talent show, and i had an entry with Jim Prosser. He suggested we write a skit in which we switch back to our original roles, and meet on the plantation to watch the fox hunt. As we handed the binoculars back and forth, we did a running gag on the "fox" not being a fox, but a girl. Not exactly Gloria Steinem, but it was wonderful fun, and the kids loved it. Backstage, before the final show, Jim sang a song he had written, "One Shining Moment", the playing of which would become a closing night tradition. When he was done, many tears were flowing. I was given a special honor by Janet Nolting, a wonderful senior. The high school jazz band had a tradition called the Teddy Bear Award, given to the band member, usually a novice, whose enthusiasm and joy could always be counted on to lift everyone. During show week, she gave me a card with a teddy bear on it, and named me Youth Club's teddy bear.

No comments: