Thursday, June 11, 2009

haywood's girl, cindy, missy

WOMEN 3-5
Haywood's girl
My first real job, at $2.75 an hour, a fast food chicken joint. I was fifteen, she was an older girl who backed me into a table and wanted to fondle my berries. Or something about produce. I ran. I mean, i didn't physically run, but oh i ran.
Cindy
My first kiss, if you don’t count Vonda Kay Creed (which i don’t) on a dare from my older sister and her friends when i was six. Cindy and i kissed on her porch after our only date, a goofy one-time event whose main function was to avoid my being "sweet sixteen and never kissed" (i didn't tell Cindy that part). My sister was waiting in the car with her date (our only double date, to date).
Missy
The girl from across the street, a year or two younger. She and her siblings swam in our pool. One day she wore a black bikini, and the image will be burned into my brain forever. I was too dopey to do anything about it, though. Her family moved a year later. A couple years after that, our families went tubing on the Delaware River. I finally floated near her, our hands came together, and stayed together for a long time. She only lived a fifteen-minute drive away, but i was still too dopey to know how to go about it…

No comments: