Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Social Security

THEATER 40
-winter 1995
I returned to Florida and my grandmother for a longer visit, about eighteen months. This show caught my eye, and i was cast. It's a modern comedy about two daughters bickering over the care of their aging mother. The put-upon daughter dumps Mom with the more successful sister, and comedy ensues. Eventually the mother meets an artist, falls in love, and moves to France. Very funny and sweet. I played the art dealer husband of the successful daughter. The show was directed by Robert Toperzer, a goodly and talented gentleman. The mother was played by Betty Knobbe, who couldn’t have been more sweet and wonderful. She and i became buddies. Peter Stearn and Amy Tardif played the working class couple. The artist was played by Jack Anthony, who had been my onstage boss in A FEW GOOD MEN. We got along great. My wife was played by Nikki Fridh. We played off each other nicely, but never became close (she was dating someone, and i fell for her a bit). Peter's real-life teenage daughter came to many rehearsals, and had a crush on me. My funniest moment was in a scene wherein the other couple is discussing their daughter's over-the-top sexual adventures in Buffalo, and after a particularly juicy revelation, i say "So where exactly IS Bogle Avenue?" Nikki and i disappear behind a couch in one scene, and her robe comes flying up. One night she forgot to wear panties under her hose. The girls made a fuss afterwards, but i had been so involved in the scene, i'd barely noticed.

No comments: