Wednesday, May 19, 2010

worthless

Her sister was dead, she hired me
to edit her poems
for posterity

Empty and sad, she welcomed me
Looked into my eyes
Her trust so free

I knew right then she would come to me
For comfort in the embrace
of carnality

I became fascinated with the sister bygone
I slept in her bed
Her thoughts my own

She wrote of dolphins and faithless men
I'd never been untrue
to lover or friend

The sister said "I trust you, i do
Your gentleness unmakes me
Did God bring you?

There are so many men who tell sweet, sweet lies
Make women drop their pants
Then disappear like flies"

The next morn the mother came to my door
Straight from the tub
Naked droplets on the floor

Radiant, stunning, and empty inside
She looked at me, entranced
Desire serene, nothing to hide

With that i knew, what i must do
Fuck 'em and use 'em
and no boo-hoo

Separately, or together too
Fuck 'em and use 'em
and no boo-hoo

And with that i jumped out of bed
Worthless in the heart
and in the head

I'm gonna do all the things she said
Worthless in the heart
and in the head

(Once in a long while i'll finish a first draft, then burst out loud laughing as my lips form the words. I'll then say "What the FUCK did i just write???" This is my first poem of that came from a dream...and not just the idea. As i awoke, the last stanza was etched in my thoughts. The only piece of the dream i left out was that the dead girl was also a filmmaker, and i watched one of her films, of dolphins. This is also the only poem i've ever written a substantial portion of backwards. The last four stanzas came first, in reverse order. The poem isn't very "me"...except inasmuch as it's all me, i suppose.)

1 comment:

bohemianwurld said...

dreams are a heavy theme of late . . . kudos to giving them honor, no matter how far they may seem from 'truth'