Tuesday, July 21, 2009

perpetuum jazzile

A friend, Chris Capp, just sent me a link to a song performed by the group Perpetuum Jazzile: http://baricko.us/africa.htm.
I started listening, and right away felt an emotional reaction. Within about ten seconds, i started to cry. The crying went on throughout the song, becoming so strong it obscured my vision, and made me worry about getting my keyboard wet. Many minutes later, i'm still getting little aftersurge sobs.
Chris sent some words with the link, about the amazing outpouring of love all over the world in the wake of Michael Jackson's death, and how if there is ever going to be real healing of our fractured, hateful race, music will be an essential part of it. Thank you for that thought, Chris. And thank you for your life, Michael. When it's all said and done, it's possible you did as much to heal the world as any human who ever lived.
It says a lot about my life lately, that i cried so quickly and easily. I've been around so much direct cruelty and carelessness.
If you feel yourself getting sad or angry with someone, remember that no child ever dreamed of growing up to spread unhappiness.
But we're all so frail and stupid and needful, that sometimes all we seem capable of is hurting each other.
Keep loving.
Remember the helpless child inside us all.
Keep loving.

1 comment:

lost in spain said...

The kiddos and I absolutely loved the song. Thanks so much for sharing it. . .