Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Salem Harbor Country Club

With a wankerish name like Salem Harbor Country Club, i knew my time there would be temporary. My final college summer was a short one, because i spent a month of it in China. Steve, the head manager at my Chi-Chi's job, asked me whether i'd help run a food stand by a country club pool. Swayed by his $6 an hour and the perfect timing, i agreed.
It was a bit of a drive, almost thirty minutes. There were two of us on staff, and Steve came around occasionally to restock us. The other guy was older, and more experienced with food. He had the energy of a rock band roadie...kind of hippieish, with a proclivity to get the work done and have a beer or toke. There was a hard edge in him somewhere, but we got on okay. He had been to one of Harry Chapin's concerts, which was very muchly cool to me. We usually saw each other for about half an hour a day, when he came on for the evening shift. For the first time in my life i was in charge of making food product all by myself, mostly burgers and dogs. The days were pretty relaxed. I cooked for myself, and became friends with the pool staff. They were nice. There was one lifeguard named Jade, and watching her in her red bathing suit, my hormones did backflips. She was small and busty, and didn't lack for male attention. She responded to my interest a bit, and we almost got together. My partner looked at us and said, "Man, she is gonna steamroll you". There was perhaps a touch of self-satisfaction and jealousy in his assessment, and i wanted to prove him wrong. But in the end he was quite right. If i'd been more of a party boy, she might have been mine. Even though it was possible all she had going for her was sex appeal, i was still sad. There may have been a primal part of me that wanted her simply because every other man did, and that's "the girl" i had never had.

No comments: