Sunday, May 17, 2009

Paperback Booksmith

After graduating from high school, i sought a summer job before heading off to college. Deciding i'd been around food long enough, i went to one of my favorite places: a mall bookstore called Paperback Booksmith. Four years before, reading "Tarzan of the Apes" had transformed me into a reader, and it was at this bookstore that i had acquired most of my Burroughs collection. The store was intimate and non-corporate. The owner Steve, a middle-aged, mildly serious man, seemed to genuinely like what he did, and worked the store himself. There were only three or four of us on staff. It was fun. I've always had an organizational streak, i can lose myself in arranging a movie or book collection. I made happy use of the employee discount, mostly to increase my Doonesbury collection. It was fun to learn about the book business. After just a couple months, i got cast in two plays at the same time, and i didn't need the money enough to try to keep working as well. Steve was disappointed in me, but nothing was more exciting in my world than acting.
And that's the post. What, i'm not entitled to be boring?

No comments: