Friday, May 29, 2009

deep space lighthouse keeper

When i was a child, i thought i might grow up to be a deep space lighthouse keeper. I would work a way station in the space lanes, all alone and months away from other humans. I would re-supply ships making long journeys, and offer comfort or emergency services to weary travellers. It would be a solitary job. Ships might only come through once or twice a year.
I don't think i saw this for myself because of misanthropic tendencies or any romanticism of loneliness...though perhaps even as a child i perceived the truth of how horribly lonely humans are, even in the midst of a sea of humanity. For as happy and peaceful as i've always been, i think i've also been tied into the existential loneliness of our present human condition for as far back as i have memory.
I think i foresaw this path because i sensed that somehow i was psychologically one of the few who could handle it. One of the few who wouldn't succumb to howling insanity. I would handle it because almost no one else could, and it was a job that needed doing. I suppose perhaps i also sensed that i understood something about loneliness that most people wouldn't be able to come to grips with until well into adulthood, if ever. Perhaps there was a part of me that needed to make peace with loneliness, to embrace it wholly and willfully, if i was to ever stand any chance of escaping it.
Though i never talked about it, i held on to this vision almost into adolescence. In my last imaginings of it, i may have had some sort of robot companion, perhaps a female or a dog.
I passed a stranger on the sidewalk today, and almost immediately wished i had offered her a hug. Try not to get so tired or weighed down by life that you miss moments like that.
I love you all.

No comments: