Friday, April 2, 2010

Speak Softly

THEATER 30
-winter 1991
When i returned to Bucks County after WCU, my Youth Club buddy Ken Hartman was directing a studio production for the Rider College theater department, in New Jersey, and asked me to be in it. It was a collection of original shorts, with an environmental theme. I read it, liked it, and jumped in. The author was student Joe Venanzi, and we got on well (he soon started writing a play for me to star in). The script had nice comedic touches. The only non-student actor, i had several prominent roles, most notably as the castaway and the crusader. As the castaway, i'd been marooned for years. A well-dressed couple show up with my new recycle bins. I'm a bit daft, and happily jump about, ready to be rescued. They tell me how to use my new bins. I go to collect my stuff, and they leave without me. As the crusader, i'm a lone voice in the wilderness, trying to protect nature. Obstacles mount, friends disappear, but i fight on. The show went over well, and i got on well with the actors, particularly Adam Gee and Jimmy Mount, both very talented. When the department head saw the show, he offered me an undergraduate acting scholarship. I smiled.

No comments: