Tuesday, April 20, 2010

hello chris

Rob, I was thinking of you yesterday, watching "60 Minutes". They were doing a piece on Al Pacino. He was talking about being a broke, unknown. They went on to describe how Coppola casting him in "The Godfather" was what actually launched his then, nonexistent career.
This trip of life is an amazing thing, and you are an incredible Man! Don't ever stop believing! I know I'm going to attend the Academy Awards ceremony as your guest some day!
Love You Man, CC

Hello Chris,
It feels like that Oscar might come as a non-actor, a writer perhaps. That's where my passion focuses, more and more. I hardly ever go to auditions, and pretty much only get involved in acting when an old director calls. I only did one short film all last year, and have only one tentative project this year, an experimental short in which the sex will be real. I've also submitted a play to the Fringe Festival, which i'll act in if it gets accepted. Perhaps i'll go back to more acting in the future, but more and more it feels like my acting will only flow from my writing, and for the past couple years that's been only articles and poetry.
Of course, life is a wonderful ride, and i love not knowing where it goes.
If i did win, there's a fair chance i'd turn it down! Ha. I love George C. Scott's example. He disliked the voting process, and the very idea of art as competition. Brando's rejection speech should be required reading in all schools, too. It bothers me, how America gets all idolatrous...if i were king, everyone watching would turn their sets off, and just have a party with their friends, where they can vote for their own "best" whatevers. I unintentionally saw a few minutes of the telecast this year, and was pained by how the cameras were constantly on the celebrity audience. This sychophant culture of celebrity is achingly dysfunctional.
Yet the hotel-sleepover skit Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin did was fucking comedic brilliance.
If i do get nominated, maybe i'll send you in my place. You can pretend to be me, dressed like Sacheen Littlefeather, and read off a doozy of an acceptance (or refusal) speech. Mooning will probably be involved.
Don't think my cantankerous response diminishes my appreciation of your sweet compliment, friend.
love you much,
wrob

No comments: