Monday, January 3, 2011

The Fantasticks

THEATER 44
-summer 1998
The next show at the Schoolhouse was a musical, with a cast of mostly professionals. J.T. asked me to play the mute, at my same pay rate. I wasn't thrilled with the money, but felt i could really do a lot with the role. I'd always been intrigued at the thought of acting without a voice. It became one of the most special roles of my life. Returning with me was Dave Yudowitz as the Indian. His rubbery face and comic presence were one of the highlights of the show. J.T. directed, and played Mortimer the actor. My respect for him as a director grew, as he was able to give very specific notes from scenes he was acting in. He was a good performer, too. Jeff March played El Gallo. His performance was a tad superficial, but he was a very good singer. The parents were played by Clement and a fun woman named Ginger, whom i hit it off with very well. The kids were played by a real-life couple named Eric and Jackie, who had plenty of talent, and were good folk, too. I served as the facilitator of the play, always there with a prop, or confetti or moonlight. In one scene i played a wall, holding a stick straight out in front of me for many minutes. Counter-intuitively, the first stick they gave me was too light, as the slightest wobble was noticeable. It was a monumental physical challenge, and i could only succeed if no one noticed my effort. No audience member ever mentioned it. With my eyes, i sought to communicate all the sadness of the ages, and lift the entire theater with my energy. The response i got was profound, from audience members who were incredibly touched. One reviewer, Marsha Wagner, gave me one of those reviews you can never forget, particularly so because i was playing the least noticeable part in the play.

No comments: