Friday, October 2, 2009

you're a good man, linus

YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN
THEATER 19
-summer 1988
My very first two-show summer. After a performance of PIPPIN, a friendly fellow from the audience asked whether i'd be interested in auditioning for a production of YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN. I was, and i did. His name was Phil Rieschick, and he was directing the show for the Mill Hill Playhouse in Trenton, which was across the Delaware from where i lived. I got cast as Linus, which was very cool, and rehearsals began at a Trenton dance studio. The cast was a sweet little group. I loved my part, particularly my "Blanket" number. We needed a baby blanket. I mentioned this to my mother, and a couple days later she came to me with one. I asked her where she'd gotten it. She said it had been mine. I gave her a long puzzled look, and told her i knew nothing of this. She smiled a misty smile (my Mom, i think i'll keep 'er). Performances were in an old church building, which was so cool. Grand architecture, in a neighborhood which had become a little rough (our posters advertised patrolled parking). It was beautiful. It was also the first time i was ever pursued for my autograph. Well, not me, but Linus. There were dozens of starry-eyed tykes to meet after each show, asking us to sign programs. To them, we weren't actors. I had a wonderful time with it, and was always the last one to get back to the dressing room. For a show about innocence, things got a little racy. During one performance, Charlie Brown propositioned me backstage. I thought he was joking at first, but he sure wasn't. Snoopy was played by fourteen year-old Jenna Barnaby, who was talented and fun, and who had a crush on me from day one. In my mind i said, "Pleease come back in ten years". Lucy was around my age and very sweet, and one day asked when i was going to ask her out. I almost rose to the bait. Schroeder was played by a wonderful guy named Kerry (who thankfully didn't give me the eye). The play was just a sweet, sweet time.

No comments: