Thursday, March 4, 2010

mirror

I woke up from a dream this morning feeling...tawdry. Pathetically common.
Usually i can count on my dreams to be flights of fancy. Sometimes i can spot a connection to my waking life, but often i can't, and happily, i don't even bother.
But this dream, how...mundane. Ugh. It couldn't have been a more perfect mirror of my life, right now.
In my real life, i'm attracted to an Indian woman. She and her family have been in the states for a year. They are strong of accent and steeped in their native culture. I'm not sure whether she and i have anything in common other than attraction and a light spirit. And i have reason to believe that her male relatives don't like me, as they can see the attraction between me and her. In my reckless fantasies, i've dreamt of having babies with this woman.
In my real life, i'm searching for a room to rent. I looked into a local commune, and decided against it, because i'd still need to work full time to pay rent, in addition to devoting a big chunk of time to communal work. I feared my writing would suffer.
In the dream, i've met a beautiful black woman. She's a bit of a hippie peace child like me, and very serene. I'm smitten. She invites me to live at her free love commune. I adore the idea. I'm going to a family get-together, and invite her along. She asks whether she can bring her older sister, who also lives in the commune. I say "Of course". Her sister is friendly, but she seems more pragmatist than idealist, and has a harder edge. She's also buxom, not my type physically. But i'm friendly. We arrive at the picnic, at a large mobile home near a little lake. Many members of my Mom's family are there. We all chat and interact. The sister starts to tell me how all the members of the commune are trying to have children, and she suddenly questions whether i'll be able to pay the rent. I assure her i'll be able to, but my mind is now full of doubts. Suddenly, i see the sister has brought one of the commune babies. He's just an infant, and she has him perched on top of an easy chair. I'm alarmed that she doesn't care that he could fall off. His proportions are all wrong, he's only a foot long, yet shaped like a grownup. I suddenly know that the commune is wrong for me. My family announces that they're going to Aunt Margo's, and they leave me alone with the sisters. The older sister says she wants to try me, and beckons me into one of the bedrooms. Unsure how to extricate myself from the situation, i go along, and i think we have sex. I come out, and my family is returning! They were just picking up Aunt Margo, to bring her back for the big meal. Everybody sits, and the older sister is chatting away with my Uncle Tom, as thick as thieves.
I wake up.
And no, i have no Aunt Margo.

No comments: