Monday, September 14, 2009

whiplashed!


I had another match this week, in my career as a professional wrestling patsy. My opponent was amber. She was wonderful, i connected with her as well as i have with any of my tussling partners. She was very centered and present, perhaps because she was, like taylor, another "pro" (my other opponents have been amateurs)...though i'm hazy about what that even means. She said she gets $300 an hour, and that she had six private sessions scheduled for one day. Is she wrestling women? I believe she is, but that didn't quite seem to be what she was getting at. My best guess is that there are men who pay women to come to their homes to wrestle them, for real.
If so, i am beyond sad that we live in a world where children starve to death, while jackasses who might make a difference, piss it away.
Anyway, amber was wonderful. She was an inch or so taller than i, and forty or fifty pounds heavier. She was bright, and with her shock of blonde hair, she worked the amazon thing very nicely. She wasn't as sculpted as taylor, but she had serious martial arts training, plus genuine warmth and a sense of fun. Just after we started, our director kasey had us start over, as we were enjoying ourselves too much.
The match, however, did not go well.
Of course i lost...that's a given, but we didn't give kasey the performance she was hoping for. We were only supposed to go five or six minutes, and it felt like it was even shorter. Kasey stopped us a second time, because i wasn't being dominated enough. In addition, i walked away more wounded than in any previous match. I sustained injuries to neck and jaw, possibly even a mild whiplash. It took three days for my neck to feel mostly right again.
Before the match, kasey told amber that i was very strong, and that she could go all out with me. I approved of her sentiment...indeed, it's possible i might have made a similar comment myself, in the spirit of "bring it on" fun.
But amber may have taken kasey's words too much to heart. Was this what kasey had meant about it sometimes being "real"? I was still certain i was supposed to lose...no other option seemed credible. But any time you have two people "battling", where one is creating a performance and the other is being real, you're probably inviting trouble. Stage combat is hard enough when it's fully choreographed, but in an improvised match, you'd better have two people who are very in control, and scrupulously focused on safety.
Part of the reason amber wasn't dominating me 100% was that i was trying to make things believable and exciting. I wasn't supposed to make it look too easy for her. Perhaps this is a fine point which kasey needed to explain...maybe i was going for a longer battle than what she wanted, a battle where amber "wears me down" until i'm spent and she has her way with me. I was trying to build to that. But in the midst of it all, i found myself having to add an element of genuine self-defense. Some of amber's clinches were hurting. I can't say that she wasn't holding back at all, but there were a couple times when i was literally fighting my way out of a hold that hurt. In my match with taylor, which i suspect looked "realer", nothing ever hurt.
The neck strain happened when i jerked away while she was "cradling" my head. The jaw strain came when she had my head in a leg clinch. Another time, my bicep began hurting like hell because of her weight on it. She also did an arm disjoint hold that hurt. When kasey interrupted, amber gave me a gentle jab for not holding back. She was wrong - i was! But still in all, kasey wasn't getting the fight she wanted, and when it resumed, she directed us to a quick finish. Quick and unsatisfying.
I can't be too hard on either of us, though. If she thought i wasn't holding back, then her behavior was understandable. And when you don't have time to practice or give each other feedback, the results are always going to be a little unpredictable.
After the match, while we were shooting some poses, our dripping bodies kept making hysterical fart noises from the way we were pushing against each other.
And when it was over, i was again tantalized by the thought of going all out. What does it say about me that i dream of wrestling women who are my superior in size and skill?
Did i mention that i've given myself a professional name?
I'm Killer Cupcake.

No comments: