Saturday, July 4, 2020

more

I sought sage advice
from my poetry mentor
The wizened words came back
"Less is more, less is more"

I shared each new poem
but was ever shown the door
with the echoing words
"Less is more, less is more"

I whittled, i pared, i tossed
verses and verbiage to the floor
This dictum became my grail
"Less is more, less is more"

Still my minimaler musings
did not make my mentor adore
My sensei serenely smiled
"Less is more, less is more"

Then one night apollo appeared
and calliope came to my door
I saw in a fevered vision
poems of one word each, and no more!

Poems to put the world on its ear
and transform life forevermore!
Trembling, i raised my quill
to let sage sublimity soar

But then a fearful shudder
through my tearful spirit tore
What if other poets claimed
they'd made MY masterpieces before??

A plague of plagiarization
might be skulking in store!
What if i were guttered while others
took my flowers to the fore?

My brilliance was too dangerous
It might destroy me, i'd be done for!
Might my light even incite
unending, world-wasting war?

Babies devouring parents
Sanity nevermore to restore
Womankind lying only with beasts
This peril i could not ignore

So look for me in alleyways
Offer one penny, and no more
And i'll whisper poetic perfection
while the drunken hobos snore

No comments: