Wednesday, September 29, 2010

dream of heroes

(I recently wrote an in-depth piece about the only darkness to ever invade my dreams. Focus determines reality, so in writing a piece like that, there's always the danger you'll draw yet more darkness unto yourself. Hopefully, the good you do in the world by writing such a piece outweighs the damage you might do to yourself. All of which is why i was so happy to have this dream last night, one of the most pure, shining dreams i've remembered in a while.)

I was at a meeting that had been convened for a large group (about thirty or so) of super-heroes, each with unique powers. We gathered standing in a circle, in some type of public hall, like a VFW or transit center, where there were other groups and individuals moving about. We lived in suspicious, non-heroic times, so most of us were unsure about our function, or that we even properly belonged in this land. We hadn't been together for long, and didn't know each other well. Our leader was a good person, but was a bit overwhelmed by the cynicsm of the times. My own powers were of a Captain Marvel variety, and i knew i was one of the strongest...some of the other super powers in the room were a little bizarre and underwhelming. But i was humble, not willing to sway the group with my strength, knowing that we needed to function as equals if we were going to function at all. I knew that our group was considering disbanding or diminishing our goals, and that my words and spirit had to touch them, or a dream would be lost. I was given the floor, and began a long speech. It was so long it had to be continued at the next meeting. While i spoke, we lost many members...not because my words were false, but because the forces of malaise in the world were so strong. I could accept that. I knew that if my words were true, we could triumph and be reunited. At the second meeting, our space in the hall kept getting downgraded. We had always kept our symbol, a big painted circle, at the center of our group. We had lost it, and i kept on insisting to the leader that we maintain some sort of symbol there. He thought it was a waste of time, but relented. The best we could do in the end was an unused condom, but that condom stayed true at the center of our group. The final parts of my speech were about the power of symbols, and the need that people had for them...without the world's belief in what our symbol stood for, we would never succeed. I was finally done, and looked around, not knowing whether i'd gotten through. There were less than ten of us left. The group's uncertainty was finally overcome when one of them put her arms around me. She had a smile of such belief and hope. I wasn't sure what her super power was. She had Native American or Latino blood. She smiled so beautifully as she held me, and we spoke...she was so happy and serene. We looked at one of our other heroes. I didn't know his power - she told me it was gastric.

No comments: