Wednesday, September 8, 2010

unindebted

For the first time since you've started reading my writings, and going back five years more, i address you as a human who is debt-free, in material terms. Tabulating material debt, either that which you owe, or that which is owed you, occupies a very low rung on the ladder of enlightenment. But living in this capitalist society, it's hard not to feel money's weight. I'd always gravitated toward a debt-free life; i paid off my college loans quickly, and whenever i used my credit card, would pay the balance in full at the end of the month. Eight years ago however, i produced JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR in Florida, with a female Jesus. It was smashing artistically, but left me $1500 in debt. In five years here in NY as a non-materialist freelancer, i'd only been able to break even financially (which is actually no mean feat). Then two years ago, i went through theft, vandalism, and credit card fraud, just as a recession began. Suddenly my debt was $4000. Some relatives loaned me that amount, so i could free myself from the honorless credit card company, Bank of America.
I've been living the past half-year in Jersey City as a rent-free house/dog caretaker. Freed of my $500 monthly rent burden, i paid off the last of my debt this week. I might tell you that i feel a weight has been lifted, but that's only barely true...my spiritual sense of "burden" weighs on scales much larger (and also perhaps my current wounded headspace prevents me from experiencing certain joys).
In all my time in NY, my only regret has been not having more cash, to produce my plays. I'd be lying if i said it wasn't tempting to stay in NY longer, now that saving money quickly is much more feasible.

No comments: