Saturday, July 12, 2008

three fans and a cricket

A word about my blogging style...often i will edit a piece after it's posted. Rarely will these edits be huge, but they might be significant. I might pick and peck for up to a week. So if a posting particularly touches you, it might be worth your time to re-visit it a week later.
And a word about comments...they bring me much happiness, partly because i don't get many. I sometimes feel I'm writing this blog for three loyal fans and a cricket, based on the paucity of comments. I've very occasionally gotten some humbling feedback, either as a comment or in person...but most of the pieces go un-commented upon. Maybe it's partly the nature of my writing...sometimes i might not have any comment for my blog myself, though i might enjoy it very much. Also, a number of people have told me that due to the vagaries of internet connection, comments they have attempted to post have simply not gone through.
But i love the comments. They feed my spirit. I know there's a way to check how many "hits" a site gets, but i don't know what that way is, and don't really want to know (i try to avoid obvious acts of self-consciousness). But the comments then become my only connection to my three fans and the cricket (he's not really a fan, he just thinks i'm inscrutably ridiculous). I actually have one minor gauge of my site activity, as i can view the number of times my complete profile has been accessed. Once in a while I'll check. It's 147 now, of which 6 or 7 have been me. So that's kinda nice.
Hug a blogger. Leave a comment today.

2 comments:

Max said...

Hi Rob, I was referred to your site by John Lazur. I've only just started reading, but so far I like it very much.

I am no stranger to wondering what kind of audience I have. I have had a radio show off and on for the last year and a half on my campus radio station KDVS. That's the University of California, Davis.

We get coverage over a fair chunk of the central valley including a good bit of Sacramento, and supposedly we have indications that our station's listenership is around 20K. We have no way to determine how many listen to any particular DJ's show. We get callers that occasionally complement us and/or make requests and our website tracks hits on our show profiles, but other than that we really have no idea.

I recently started a blog (http://maxthedilettante.blogspot.com/) and just added a ticker last night for fear of the feeling you describe. I have a personal philosophy of gratifying curiosity when possible, and approached hit counters as a luxury of blogging. If you change your mind about getting a hit counter I did a little homework last night and came upon an excellent one.

wrob said...

Hello Max! Thank you for your kind words. I've often thought I'd love to do a radio show myself. My love for music is abiding and eclectic (cranking a little Donny Osmond now). I'd also do talk and other silly/serious stuff as part of the show.
If I decide to go the more self-conscious route, you'll be the first to know.