Tuesday, April 29, 2008

subway attack!

I'm sure it's all over the news by now. There was an explosion in the NY subway system a few hours ago. I was at the Metropolitan Ave. G station in Brooklyn. Ground zero.
And i'm alive.
Okay, it was most likely some mechanical failure on the train that caused the explosion. The equivalent of a car backfiring, perhaps. No one was hurt. So let's not pander to the atmosphere of fear in this country, and the stupid "security" subway announcements that have become part of our lives, making us look at one another with mistrust and race paranoia.
Still in all, you don't want to be near a train when it backfires.
I was on the opposite platform, almost directly across from the explosion. The train had just begun to pull out. BOOOOOOM! I saw a yellow explosion under the train. Everyone around me ducked or jumped back. I whipped my fists up. The train kept moving, and came to a stop thirty feet on. I couldn't see any remains that gave a clue to the origins of the explosion. Within a few minutes there was a smoky haze as far as the eye could see. The police arrived, and soon unloaded the train and sent everyone on their way. There was speculation on our side of the track that the station would be shut down, which would cause an hour or two delay in getting home to Queens. But no, ten minutes later, our heroic train came down the line.
There was no clapping. New Yorkers don't impress easily.
But let me just reiterate, you don't wanna be near a train that backfires. I was 25 feet away. I don't think there was shrapnel, but if you had been within a ten-foot radius of the blast, there would have been hospitalization. I wish i had been able to catch the reaction of the people directly over the blast. But when an explosion like that occurs, your attention is only on the source.
The great subway attack of 2008. Boo.

No comments: