Sunday, April 27, 2008

director/producer

After five years in NY as an occasional actor and full time writer-dreamer, i'm returning to a familiar role: director/producer. Last night, Evan at the Lumber Theater greenlighted production of my script ROHTI SEX. Evan also shows great interest in having my other scripts produced.
In some ways the past five years, i've been avoiding producing my plays. Oh, there have been surface reasons...lack of cash to self-produce in this monied town...insisting on a circumstance wherein i can maintain creative control...but the truth is that i've only put minimal effort into producing or publishing. I think i needed the past five years to really explore being a writer. Also, i know that any producer's journey i embark upon may profoundly diminish my output as a writer. I have ten unproduced plays now, most of them products of my time in NY. The further along i go, the more and more i think that the most important contribution i can make to the world is as a writer. Not that i'll ever want to give up acting, but...it seems patently simple to me that to really affect people in the ways i wish, i'll never get there parroting other's words.
Or perhaps i'm just a good actor and a middling playwright, and will need the coming live productions to teach me that.
Either way, it sounds like fun.
(P.S. I'm sure there was a tiny element of humorous oversimplification in my comment about being middling...it's hard to imagine the amount of testimony that would be required for me to stop believing that what i have to give is as important and irreplaceable as that of anyone ever. Perhaps, however, i'll just have to settle for being the greatest blogger in the history of the universe.)

No comments: