Monday, March 3, 2008

sad songs, funny movies

I'm listening to "Jesus Went to Birmingham". I have too much music. In terms of storage space, in terms of cds that sit in my collection unloved...i have too much, so i'm weeding. This Mellencamp is on the chopping block, and the cleaver is falling. I love music. If i were to have one addictive behavior, i think that would be it. I suspect i could spend thousands of dollars a year. Fortunately I know how to be patient. There are only a teensy handful of artists whose new releases i'll pay full price for. I'll wait years and years to find what i want at thrift store/garage sale prices.
I realized something...curious, a year or two ago. I love funny movies and sad songs.
Well, who wouldn't? But i mean disproportionately. An overly conspicuous percentage of the movies i have loved most have been funny. A conspicuously high percentage of the songs that have touched me most deeply have been sad.
Isn't there something inconsistent there? I'd say that i've always been happier than most. Maybe even profoundly so. Yet always, and i mean always, sad songs have resonated deeply in my spirit. And i do believe in Gibran's words...that the greater joy has filled your spirit, the greater your capacity for sorrow, and vice versa. So it's not a ridiculous proposition, it's just...curious. It makes me wonder whether there's a reason. I'm pretty self-aware, and i can't think of one. Any psychoanalysts among us? It makes me wonder whether there are others like me, or whether there is someone reading who has always been drawn to happy songs and sad movies.
Now don't get me wrong, we're not talking absolutes. There are sad movies (DAS BOOT, PLANET OF THE APES, FIGHT CLUB) and happy songs ("Alice's Restaurant", anything by FRED, "Mmmmbop") that i adore. But over the past couple years, i've made lists of my favorite movies and songs, and it hits you in the face, the near-total absence of sad movies or funny songs (well, it didn't hit me in the face until i thought of it in a street-wandering moment...i'm so accepting that i usually wouldn't think to psychoanalyze a list i'd made).
But there it is. Funny movies make me happy. Sensible. But on some level, must it not also be true that sad songs make me...happy? Or perhaps the recognition of sadness is just a central part of me? Does it have something to do with the different contexts in which one experiences songs and movies? Dunno...well, as Popeye might say, it is what it is, and i like what it is.
Some funny...
Monty Python, THE PRINCESS BRIDE, THE NAKED GUN, THE FULL MONTY, AIRPLANE, TOOTSIE, MAVERICK, BORAT, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, ISHTAR, BEST IN SHOW, GALAXY QUEST, THE JUNGLE BOOK, MST3K, Marx Brothers, VICTOR/VICTORIA, THIS IS SPINAL TAP
And some sad...
"The Impossible Dream", "Vincent", "The Sad CafĂ©", "Dust in the Wind", "Here’s That Rainy Day", "The Way It Is", "Hard Habit to Break", "Lost Soul", "The Frozen Man", "Love on the Rocks", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "What’s Going On?", "Empty Garden", "Piece of Clay"
May your sorrow be deep, and your joy brimming.

No comments: