Tuesday, January 22, 2013

18 degrees

I crossed the 59th St. Bridge into Manhattan tonight, returning from an audition in Astoria. The temperature was 18 degrees (-7.7 Celcius) Upon arriving home, i did something i've never done - researched how long it takes to become frostbitten. It takes a lot less time than you might imagine.
If you've ever biked across a city bridge, you know how windy it can get. It was so strong up there tonight, it almost forced me off the bike.
I've never been frostbitten, but halfway across i knew i was in real danger. I was wearing lined canvas gloves, and couldn't feel my fingers. I started shoving one hand in a pocket, and steering with the other - back and forth. There were a few other bikers on the bridge, but they were all coming the other way, the wind at their back.
When i made it to the other side, i pulled over in the car tunnel that runs under the bridge. I took off my gloves, and stuck both naked hands deep inside my pants, wrapping them around the warmest spot.
I stayed like that for ten minutes.
This being New York, nobody gave me a second look.
Heck, there was a guy sitting on the other side of the road, all bundled up, with a big sign next to him. I could only make out one word of the sign - SEX. There was a lot of fine print, so i may have missed my chance at carnal enlightenment. I probably should have wandered over, just for the sake of the image the two of us would have created, as all my fingers rested on my taint. A student finds his guru.
Someone remind me why i'm not living someplace with warmth, water, and maybe a palm tree or two?

1 comment:

Max said...

San Francisco awaits your arrival with eager anticipation!