Monday, November 1, 2010

hallow-eenversion

On the morning of most holidays, including my birthday, i wake up unaware of the date, prefering spontaneity to premeditatation. There are of course exceptions.
This Halloween was no exception. I've nothing against Halloween, i've had some delightful experiences thereon, and always look forward to the chance to break out my "flasher" costume (one year i chickened out from doing it properly, and have sought any opportunity to make amends ever since). I do not, however, like my costuming activity to be confined to one societally-proscribed day of the year...and i ain't talkin' about mascots.
This Halloween, i awoke in a Marriott in Boston, and headed off to the final day of the Boston Vegetarian Food Show, to give away goodwill and free samples for Peanut Butter & Co. I often work these shows in costume, as our baby monkey mascot. Sometimes, like this time, i'm just me.
At 4PM, my wonderful partner Jenny and i headed back to NYC. After dropping her off on 155th St., i headed to the Village to drop off the leftover PB at our sandwich shop.
Somebody (myself included) should have questioned the wisdom of making a commercial dropoff in the heart of the Village on Halloween night. What with the parade, shoulder-to-shoulder revelers, and closed-off streets, it took me the better part of four hours to get in and out. At 1:30AM, i dropped off the U-Haul on 50th St., and walked to 32nd to catch the subway home.
It was one of the most memorable subway rides of my life. All around me, merry-makers were heading home. I was the only person not in costume. I had a lovely chat with the Riddler and Poison Ivy, who were curious about my hiker's pack and normal attire.
The ride was a bizarre inversion of a part of my life. More times than i could ever count, i've been the one costumed person in a sea of humanity. For a brief moment, i experienced the exact opposite.
Ah life, silly and wonderful...

No comments: