Wednesday, October 10, 2012

brigette

WOMEN 69
We met on the subway. She came onto the car, and sat next to me. We suddenly shared the longest unbroken eye contact i’d ever had with a stranger. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, and couldn’t look away. After a few stops and few (or no?) words, she got up. She wrote down her number, gave it to me, and hurried out the closing door. We met a few days later, at a lovely vegetarian restaurant. I wasn't the old-fashioned type who felt that the man should buy everything…not at all…but when the check came and she didn't move, i was happy to pay. We wandered the wet streets for hours, eventually stopping for a 2AM snack. I had to go to an ATM, as i rightly guessed i’d be paying again. She talked a lot about a profound love relationship that had recently ended. She had some ideas that didn’t jibe with me; for instance, when i told her about Amanda, and how i had been so in love, she was very put off and felt that i needed to go back to Florida. She felt that everybody has only one person they’ll ever fall in love with. Though i protested that i couldn’t be more happy for Amanda and Eric, she just didn’t understand. Finally at 3 or 4, we hugged and went our separate ways. Despite my misgivings, my attraction to her was profound. She was a stripper, which i found sexy. I mean, i knew it was an almost inherently unsexy profession…but i wanted very much to watch her at work. I think i might have only been able to sit there slack-jawed. For the next few months, she danced around the periphery of my life. I so much wanted to be with her. She talked of just needing someone reliable and honest to help her get over her lovesickness, and i was 99.9% willing to offer myself. But she disappeared. A year later, she re-surfaced. On the phone, i actually agreed to meet her without even remembering who she was (something told me i must). My brother John figured out who she was. We spent an afternoon and evening together. She kept on complimenting me on how great i looked. She insisted she was a little thin and tired-looking (which she was), but i truthfully told her she was still beautiful. Again i paid the bills…this time she may have wanted to pay, but she was broke. Again she talked about a relationship that was breaking up, her “rebound” from the last guy. We sat in parks and had a sweet time. Our incompatibilities were mirrored by compatibilities. She believed in living simply, and lamented the lack of honesty in the world. Around midnight i got tired, and said i’d be heading home. She said she didn’t want to be alone. I told her she could come with me, or i'd go home with her if i could sleep on her couch. She looked pensive, then invited me home. When we got there, she had me wait outside for a few minutes. She had the tiniest apartment! And i’m NO STRANGER to tiny apartments, believe me. Turns out she didn’t have a couch; the bed was the only thing one could recline on. So we lay on opposite ends and talked for another hour or two. She was battling a headache, so i rubbed her. She said she was surprised she felt comfortable having me there. As i was starting to fall asleep she began nudging me, smiling. It was pretty obvious what she wanted, and i faced a…well, “moment of truth” seems overmuch, but…i already had figured out that even if we did continue to see each other (and i couldn’t take that as a given, i still sensed much instability in her), our compatibility wasn’t enough to sustain a romance, at least not at this point in her life. So do i give her the moment of affirmation and sexual healing she wanted? I did, mostly because i felt one of the more profound physical attractions of my life. I kissed, caressed, and undressed her. I’m pretty sure i then touched the first fake breasts of my life (to say i wasn't a fan of plastic surgery would be an understatement). They were likable enough, with very adorable nipples, and i began to think that over time i'd actually get used to them. We didn’t exchange any fluids, i just covered her in kisses and caresses. It wasn’t the most magical moment of my life…but i was very happy. Right around the time i got naked, she lost sexual steam. So i put my head down to sleep, but never quite did. An hour or so later, she seemed jangly and restless, like she needed a fix. She asked me to leave, and i did. There were other clues that could have meant something or nothing…the time she needed before letting me in, perhaps hiding something, as she didn’t like it when i stuck my nose in her closet. She refused to take her socks off, and suddenly i was imagining track marks…anyway, i called her the next day, and she called back to ask whether i could come loan her $10 for shoes for work. I was glad that she was unself-conscious enough to ask, but i was busy/tired/uncertain enough that i said no, not that night. The relationship ended a short time later, during a phone call. I told her i thought it was anti-feminist for a man to pay all the bills. She understood that i meant it, and told me (in so many words) that she needed a man who was going to pay for her.

No comments: