Monday, March 12, 2012

hallucination bugs

I've been having visions for several years.
I've never told anyone, because it never occurred to me to do so. But it occurs to me now that this might fall under the category of things-of-which-the-doctor/scientist-shouts, "In the name of sanity, why didn't you TELL ANYONE???"
I mean "vision" in the literal, non-esoteric sense. Then again, since i'm at a loss to explain these visions, i probably shouldn't opine on their objective nature. It may turn out that my experience has been shared by many. The fact that i've never heard talk of such things, means nothing.
"Hallucination" might be a better word. Or "waking dream", or "dreaming wake". They occur every few months or so, originating in the window between sleep and consciousness. My theory has been that they are a dream manifestation...yet i've never experienced anything like them in a lifetime of dreaming.
The first time it happened, it felt like i had half-awoken to become aware of a bug. But no ordinary bug. It was the outline of a bug drawn in a thick black line, resembling a cartoon creation with no innards. It was floating near the ceiling, but seemed to be located in no fixed point in space. I thought i was still dreaming. Then i felt sure that i wasn't, yet could still see it clearly. I made a conscious effort to shake whatever reality i was in, and within a few moments, the bug was gone. The act of shaking myself into my normal senses felt harder than it should have, as though i were fighting off some sort of drugged state. Sometimes i'll wake up aware that my eyes are already open.
The next time, the apparition was similar, but seemed to float closer to me. I reached out, and when i should have touched it, my hand passed through. The bug again didn't disappear right away, although i knew i had woken up.
The most recent vision placed an apparition walking along the edge of my sheet toward my head. This time it was in the shape and size of a bedbug (no surprise, as my sleep has been disturbed by real bedbugs for two months). I assumed i had awakened, it felt like i had...i reached out to pin the bug with my finger, only to realize that it didn't exist in the same reality as the sheet and finger.

3 comments:

R said...

This happens to me often when I am in bed. I am sleeping, but feel a presence. I wake up. . .or at least have my eyes open and honestly believe that I am awake. I see faces. They are large and hang very close above me or sometimes hang on the walls. . . they float and move. I always try to reach out to them. Sometimes I also see large spiders. This doesn't happen as often. . . it's very odd, no? I have never known anyone else that this happens to. . . glad to know I'm not alone.

Mark said...

I've been practicing a form of sleep and dream yoga for awhile now. The tenets of this study can be found in Bon Budhism, around some 17,000 years. As I discovered for myself several years ago, I AM my spiritual path. These dreams, these visions, these "other worlds or dimensions" ... One thing I do not dispute with myself is my perception. I observed the phenomenum - what I do with that perception is something else entirely, but I Recognize that "somehow" these things exist. They're to that degree real. As the number of these events grows larger you can start to see patterns in them, and come to understand them a little better. I think of it as part of the journey. I embrace it as part of my journey. I already know what I know - I want to know what I don't know.

Mark said...

I often find myself outside of my body just before 'falling sleep.' I really think that this has happened to anyone reading this. Sometime in your life you were outside of your body, or head if that's more comfortable. I think this is a gateway into a more true real 'you'. If you know you were there and that this happened to you it's real, at least to you. And isn't that the most significant reality there is? Your own? That's the one reality you can be responsible for. And so I think it's important to pay attention. Sometimes things happen that you can't explain, yet they happened. Accept that they happened and you don't know what it was. Fine. Store it away in some mental file. Eventually you'll notice some patterns, some similarities. Those moments can become quite enlightening sometimes. Well, isn't that what we're looking for? You need datum of comparable magnitude to analyze data? If it never happened before put it aside until a few more similar incidents happen, giving you datum of comparable magnitude to create a more real reality. Don't waste time analyzing it before then. Just look for more of these incidents - it's a lot of fun too!